Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Chicken Pox - the 2nd Edition

So to continue on...
Champ and Avery had STILL not come down with the Chicken Pox and we were on day 16 after incubation. By this point my sister's girls had gotten it, and I had gone and gotten both their blood work drawn 4 days before. The blood work would tell me if CP was in their system or not and guarantee us the ability to go with ZOE to Colorado. On the day we were to leave for Colorado the blood work was still not in, and there were still no signs of CP so we began packing all in one day. That night we left for Colorado and 2 days later (day 18 of incubation...which is late) Champ breaks out!! It was the same day that the blood work finally came in and the dr's. office called and said neither child had CP in their system. I was surprised because he was obviously breaking out yet the results from just 7 days before were negative...it was strange. Needless to say, he had one bad night of CP uncomfortableness and the other nights after that weren't so good either - but those were mostly because at this point he realized I was sleeping in the same room and if he cried long enough I would let him sleep (or should I say barely sleep and then hit, slap, giggle, throw his paci, play and roll around all over me). He was fine during the day although he did look pretty bad! He also had a big blister on his nose from the Colorado sun which really made him look a lot worse:) By the time we got back on the bus to come home he was doing better and of course the day after we got home he already looks remarkably better with almost no blisters and lots of scabbing. Altogether his has run about 7 days.
While we were in Colorado my friend Leah let me borrow her blow up duckie bath and I gave him a few Oatmeal baths.
Here is what I've been doing for CP:
Oatmeal baths, with Vinegar and Baking Soda sometimes
Aloe Vera Gel all over the body
Virotox - antiviral homeopathic drops
*honestly I believe the Virotox is why my kids cases have been so quick and fairly easy. AND I believe this is why little miss Avery has been exposed THREE times now and has NOT gotten it yet?!!!! She has been on Virotox the most out of all 4 kids (for some warts - which are viral and you get rid of by killing the virus). So...Chicken Pox - the 3rd Edition will be coming either soon or a year from now, depending on when this sweet girl actually gets it!! :) :)
Here are some pics from Champ's CP adventure...

When I went to get the kids blood tested it was a surreal moment for me. We went to a Quest Diagnostic center and it just so happened to be the same one I had gone to 5 years ago for my 2 miscarriages. I had to go back over and over again and continue getting my blood tested until my levels returned to normal. It was a sad place to me and I always hated going there. Now here I was going back with FOUR children! I felt so blessed and grateful, that it made the whole experience so much better. Because who really looks forward to taking 4 kids to get blood taken in their arms, with a needle, with no help?! It turned out great and the nurses kept saying the kids were so well behaved. I was proud and grateful and felt blessed indeed :)







1 comment:

  1. I just typed out this whole long thing asking your advice on vaccinations but it erased. Dang it!! Ha ha.

    Anyway, do you vaccinate at all or do you selectively vaccinate? Mine hasn't been vaccinated and it's easy to fear either way with the decision to or not to (that's why I have to be in tune with the Lord on it). I know i don't want to do the unnecessary ones that don't pertain to infants or that aren't harmful.... chicken pox, tetanus, flu, etc. But I'm trying to decide when and if to do any. I'd like to maybe do some that protect against meningitis... I'm just not sure when to start if at all. I thought maybe after he's two but then do I worry about putting him in the church nursery or around big groups of kids?

    I'd love your advice since you have 4 and most likely you've thought this all through several times :) I'd love to hear your thoughts.

    Miss you guys so much! The kids look great!

    ReplyDelete