Wednesday, January 12, 2011

my baby turned orange

I have no pictures to verify this, but many family members saw it as proof.

While visiting my family in Texas over Christmas, I decided to just buy food for Champ instead of cart along all of his home made baby food and rather than make him food while we were there. No big deal right? Well, I have never actually bought baby food at the store before (other than a random jar of prunes, ahem). After doing the math I spent about $20 for ONE WEEK of food. Yes I did buy Organic (but the price is really not that much more), and he was eating about 3 jars a day at that point. I didn't think much about it, began feeding him the foods, it was very easy and a nice break from thinking much about his food. Until day 7, he was running out of food, my mom was out picking him up more, and I just saw it...he was ORANGE! It's like it was right there in front of my face and I never paid attention until one moment when it was incredibly obvious, he was orange! Mostly it was his cheeks and nose. It began to all makes sense. Sweet Potatoes, Squash, Carrots, "Mixed" Vegetables (these are orange too), he did have green bean and lentils, but mostly all of his food was orange, go figure! We quickly steamed some spinach my mom had and it took about a week for his color to change back. This got me thinking, what do other mom's do? Mom's who don't make their own baby food? I thought it was really expensive and I was trying to stick to "vegetables" - which makes you think green- yet they were all orange, so possibly I didn't do a good job picking them out. I realized I've never even seen a mom with loads of baby food in her cart, but that was me and it was only for ONE week!?! I really want to know what other moms are doing! Do you buy your child's baby food? Has your baby ever turned orange? Do you think it gets ridiculously expensive? I know people almost never leave comments anymore, but on this one if you have some input I'd love to hear it!
Thanks, from the mom who does not have an orange son anymore :)

3 comments:

  1. The orange tint was from beta carotene overload - carrots, sweet potatoes, squash. I never made my own baby food, but I have friends who did, and some of their kids had orange noses/faces too. The orange veggies tend to taste sweeter, so a lot of kids like them better than the green veggies, therefore they eat more of them. Lola preferred green beans and peas to the orange veggies, and I never noticed that she was tinted orange. Supposedly if adults eat a lot of beta carotene the same thing will happen, but I think we would have to eat a very large amount for it to happen. Babies are so little that a couple of containers per day could easily do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the cost is crazy! I didn't about half store bought half homemade with my first and I was spending way too much. (she wasn't even a big eater) So with my second I made everything. It was so much easy because I was just buying a little more of things I buy anyway. All my children have LOVED sweet potatoes and have gotten orange noses, but only for a week or so before I cut back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this story! my sister (in-law, married to gt's brother) has the same story from when she was a baby... her mom freaked out! but it is totally normal:) i am sure it is a little scary at first when you look at your kiddo and they look orange... i haven't had that happen to harper yet! love y'all.

    ReplyDelete