Monday, July 18, 2011

Surgery Update



There are so many experiences that really pull at a mother's heart strings, and surgery is definitely one of them. I knew it would be, I was practically in tears just talking to the nurse on the phone about what time to arrive today. But the Lord is GOOD, He is PEACE, He is HOPE, He is our SOLID ROCK that won't be shaken...so why should I? I wanted to make this day sweet for my little girl so Phillip helped me with the idea to go to Build a Bear (a first for us). I wanted her to have a sweet snuggly to take with her before/during/after surgery and the bunny and sunglasses she picked out were just perfect.
This morning we awoke at 4:45am and were at the big hospital downtown by 6:45am. Atley was so great, happy and willing to let the nurses check her over. But like anyone who is waiting and waiting for surgery...and ALL those different people come in to talk to you and ask you a million questions, she eventually lost it and became pretty unconsolable. With a little sedative in her, she was more willing to go back to the OR and I also go to carry her back there. I was able to stay with her, help her breath in her oxygen mask until she fell asleep. It was so sweet, they even had a little mask on her bunny with her. The surgery didn't take very long, and that was because after the dr. did her first eye it was so quick to correct that it was almost overcorrecting. There are a lot more details to this, but she didn't want to do the less severe eye and risk overcorrecting two eyes and having them point outward, which would be a big mess. She said this almost never happens and had to make a decision on the fly, going back to Atley's charts and re-reading them again during surgery. We were glad she was cautious and trust her opinion. We are hoping this does not mean surgery for her other eye in the future though. Especially because it was so hard to calm Atley down after surgery. This is common, we knew, but she sure did go on and on for a while before calming down. Once she had her IV and board off her arm and had a little apple juice in her, she was back to her sweet self. She slept the whole way home, was greeted so lovingly by her siblings and Mimi. Avery had been very concerned for her sweet sister. She was perfect the rest of the day, running around and playing inside, never once complaining of hurting eyes. We were so proud of our sweet girl. We are also so VERY thankful for ALL the people we know were praying. I KNOW the Lord heard those prayers, and He has already answered them! We are beyond grateful for family and a community of friends who so deeply care for our us and our sweet children. Thank you!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment