Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Laundry Room

I have a love/hate relationship with my laundry room. I think every woman does. They are just too small and lets be honest we are in there ALL the time:) However, I've tried to make the best out of our space. I have blogged about this little yet important room before, back when we first moved in. Over the past year I've added just a few more necessities to this room, and have some areas I still greatly need to work on.
When we were building this house, I knew I wanted to use my laundry room as a "kids closet" area as well. I had gotten this idea from the Duggar family who have 19 kids and keep all their clothes in the same big room downstairs. It seemed to make perfect sense to me. In the past I had gotten their clothes from their rooms and brought them to the living room to dress them anyway. Now that we were going to have their rooms UPstairs I knew that would involve a lot more ups and downs. Now, we do their laundry in the laundry room, put the clothes on the shelves we designated, they get dressed in there, put dirty clothes in there, even have their shoes in there. The only thing upstairs is the girls Sunday dresses. It really is a GREAT system that I LOVE. The shelves are from IKEA and I love them too.

When you walk into our LR, there is a shoe holder on the door to the garage. This is where I store all kinds of things, but mostly shoes, underwear, socks, outdoor toys, and Phillip has his own little spot too:)


Look closely, there really is order here!!:) haha. It might take others a minute to figure out whose clothes are where, but I know exactly where everything is and it all has its own specific place.


On the back of the LR door, I made a bow hanging system for all the girls bows (most were generously donated by a sweet friend from church!)
I also have hooks all over the LR for hanging jackets, sweatshirts, dresses, cloth diaper wet bags, baby bags, anything!! I love hooks and want more:)


This is the area I need the most help. We want to get cabinets to put up here, but haven't wanted to spend the extra money yet. This area is screaming at me to use it, organize it and make it useful


Our recent addition to the LR is our Chore Chart. This is something I adapted from a homeschool blog I follow. It has worked great so far and I love having it in the LR where it is accessible yet hidden.

So there's my favorite but maybe not room in my house. I would love to hear other ideas on how you organize your LR too!!

2 comments:

  1. Shelly you inspire me so much girl! I love what you did with your laundry room! I wish you could come here when Phillip does and help me in our laundry room/office I have moved Andrew's closet into our laundry room lol so I have more room for my clothes =) in our closet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shelly-
    I am not sure if you remember me, but I am Dale Baker's wife, Shannon. Dale worked along side Philip at Zoe back in '06-'07. When I was checking the Zoe site, I stumbled upon your blog, I LOVE it. I admire your Love, Energy, Organization, and Up lifting spirit! I wish we would of had a stronger friendship back when we were in Stl. We are now in Kansas City and have 2 kids! Crazy, but so inspiring when I catch up on your blog...

    One idea I have for the area above the washer/dryer is to put up shelves (maybe 2) which can be basic wood which you can paint. Then load them with baskets... in the baskets you can keep the laundry detergent, miscellaneous cleaning products, toilet paper/paper towels, anything that needs easy access from the laundry room.

    I hope this helps! keep me posted on your laundry room and other decor... we just got our 1st house and I need ideas :)

    ReplyDelete